Why developers should invest in learning the Shopify App or Theme development?
Ilias Haddad - Shopify Developer | Full Stack Developer | Freelancer
December 19, 2020 - 2 min read
On the 14th of the #4WeeksOfShopifyDev challenge, I’ll be talking about why developers should invest in learning and becoming a Shopify developer.
Who am I?
I’m Ilias Haddad, a junior full stack developer based in Kenitra, Morocco. I use Shopify as a business owner for my clothing brand (CodeParel) which I sold it later.
While using Shopify as a business owner. I fall in love with love and especially the modern design and the experience of using it. Shopify removes the headaches of managing an eCommerce website like hosting, security, and order management…
What is Shopify Developer?
In Shopify, there are two types of developers:
- Shopify Theme Developer
- Shopify App Developer
What is a Shopify Theme?
Shopify theme is HTML, CSS, and JS files with Shopify template language (Liquid) that will pull data from Shopify backend and display in HTML files
What the requirements for becoming a Shopify theme developer:
- Have a basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JS
- Have a basic knowledge of Liquid (easy to learn)
- Have a basic knowledge of command line
What is a Shopify app?
Shopify app is a web app that uses Shopify APIs to communicate with a Shopify store and you can use any backend language to build a Shopify app
In Shopify app dev, there are two types of apps:
- Public Apps: are available to any Shopify store and are listed on the Shopify App Store
- Private Apps: are available only to your store and aren’t listed on the Shopify App Store
What the requirements for becoming a Shopify App developer:
- Have a good experience working with a back-end language (Node JS, Ruby, Go, Python…)
- Have a good experience working with React or any front end framework to build the UI of the Shopify App. I prefer to use React because Shopify offer their design system using React (Polaris)
- Have a good experience with GraphQl (Shopify latest APIs built on GraphQl)
What the benefits of becoming a Shopify developer?
They’re a good amount of demand for Shopify developer and especially App developer.
While on average, freelance developer rates are $61–80 for full-stack developers, Shopify developer rates can start at $65 per hour. That being said, many times Shopify developers charge depending on the complexity of the store setup, which can range from $500 to over $25,000 depending on the amount of customization required.
On average, Shopify developers earn $93,000 a year, according to ZipRecruiter. On the low end, six percent of Shopify developers earn between $43,000 to $56,000 per year. On the high end, three percent of Shopify developers earn between $173,000 to \$186,000 per year. — Arc.dev
Where can I find Shopify developer-related work?
If you’re looking for Shopify dev-related work, there’re a good amount of job offers and freelance projects to work on.
- StoreTasker: Freelance Shopify Developer
- HeyCarson: Shopify Developer Job
- Arc.dev: Remote Shopify Developer
- Indeed: Shopify Developer Jobs
- LinkedIn: Shopify Developer Jobs
- The Taproon: Freelance Shopify Developer (Remote, Worldwide)
From my experience as a freelancer and developer, learning Shopify development is one of the best decisions I ever make. I highly recommend it to new developers and especially freelancer